The building was consecrated on May 15th 1852 and a separate parish, originally called Christ Church, West Ham, was created on November 10th 1852.
In 1895 the district of St Aidan was established and a church dedicated in Ward Road in 1899. Consecrated in 1921 it served the area until it's closure, due to the war, in 1940.
In 1952 the church celebrated it's centenary with a week of special services, a 'Centenary Social' and the presentation of a Bible to every child born on 'Centenary Day', May 15th 1952, living in the parish. Copies of the 'Short History of The Parish', 'Centenary Celebrations Pamphlet' and 'Service Of Thanksgiving' are available to read on our Library Page. Many thanks to Ron Miller for these.
In October 1961 the parish was re-united with St John's and the land purchased by the local council. The church buildings stood empty until they were eventually demolished in 1975. The land itself stood empty unitl it was redeveloped for the 2012 Olympics.
The incumbants at Christ Church were:
- 1852 - 1854 - Edward Cridge : , , 
- 1854 - 1858 - Stopford James Ram : , , 
- 1858 - 1859 - James Martin Kennedy : 
- 1859 - 1861 - interregnum
- 1861 - 1864 - John Strickland :
- 1864 - 1878 - James Wray Carter :
- 1878 - 1922 - Charles William Servante :
- 1923 - 1932 - Reginald Brackstone Bertin : 
- 1933 - 1936 - Walter Darling Topping : 
- 1936 - 1938 - Herbert Henry Griswell : 
- 1938 - 1948 - Thomas Henry Hollingdale : , 
- 1948 - 1960 - Herbert Reseigh :
In 2003, during a tidy up and reorganisation of the archives and records at St John's, a photograph album was found in a storage cupboard in the tower, the photos were taken in 1925 and 1926 in and around Christ Church, they can be viewed here.